Management of health and safety in the workplace is not only a legal obligation and a moral imperative, it also makes good business sense. Qualified safety professionals are an asset to their organisations, reducing costs by preventing accidents and ill health of employees, without incurring unnecessary expense by over-reacting to trivial risks.
Many larger organisations choose NEBOSH certificate-level qualifications as a key part of their supervisors’ or management development programme. By ensuring that line managers have a sound understanding of the principles of risk management they build an effective safety culture in the company.
What is NEBOSH?
NEBOSH (The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) was formed in 1979 as an awarding body with charitable status. They offer a comprehensive range of globally-recognised, qualifications designed to meet the health, safety and environmental management needs of all places of work.
Courses leading to NEBOSH qualifications attract around 50,000 candidates annually and are offered by over 600 course providers, with exams taken in over 110 countries around the world. In 2014, we were delighted to be awarded Britain’s highest accolade for trade success, the Queen’s Award for Enterprise, for our “outstanding achievement” in International Trade.
The qualifications are recognised by the relevant professional membership bodies including the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM).
NEBOSH is an awarding body approved by Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) Accreditation, which has a UK-wide regulatory remit.
What are the benefits?
- A safer workplace – Health and safety is important. It protects people from injury and loss of life. People with the NEBOSH Certificate know how to help their employer avoid prosecution, litigation, absence costs and loss of reputation, wherever they operate.
- Assurance – Employers whose staff are NEBOSH qualified is an employer committed to health and safety. The NEBOSH International General Certificate provides an assurance of safety – something that can help employers achieve recognised standards and can even win new business.
- Return on investment – An employee with a NEBOSH Certificate has a practical set of skills that brings real value to the modern global workplace.
The modular qualification structure and variety of available course formats enables candidates and employers to arrange training around the needs of the business. Many NEBOSH training providers will offer in-company courses, to allow the inclusion of material specifically relevant to the organisation’s workplace.
Combine NEBOSH Qualifications and Build Your Career
NEBOSH Certificate qualifications are structured to contain certain common units, allowing you to use your previous achievements to attain additional Certificate-level NEBOSH qualifications.
You can choose to take the examined units in any order, and you will receive a certificate for each unit that you pass. When all units making up the qualification have been successfully passed, you will receive the award parchment.
For example: If you have successfully achieved the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety you can achieve the following Certificates without re-sitting unit NGC1:
- National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management
- National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety
- International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
NEBOSH training courses
As a NEBOSH Accredited centre we offer the following qualifications:
This three day qualification is the perfect introduction to health and safety.
This course is a qualification designed to help those with health and safety responsibilities
The course is designed for supervisors and managers within the construction industry.
This course covers the management of health and safety and in particular fire safety including legal requirements.
This course is designed to provide a sound foundation in environmental management.