Jarrold’s head office and Jarrold Training are based in St James Mill, a Grade 1 listed former Yarn Mill, towering above Whitefriar’s Bridge and the River Wensum. This historical building is a Norwich landmark and a reminder of the city’s industrial past.
Inaugurated in 1840 by the Norwich Yarn Company, which was wound up within ten years, St James continued as a textile mill under new owners. Some of the floors were let out for weaving, making men’s braces and manufacturing pianofortes. At that time Jarrold was looking for additional space for its expanding printing business. John Jarrold II established a business in Norwich as booksellers, stationers and printers, but by 1900 London Street was full to overflowing with about 400 people working in the printing works and the shop. The Whitefriars site was bought by Jarrold in 1903 to provide space for their printing business, and the old weaving sheds were converted for printing.
However, in 1904 St James Mill became the home of Caley’s Crackers before being sold to the Ministry of Labour at the end of the First World War for use as a training centre. From the 1930s onwards the mill was synonymous with Jarrold Printing. In 1957 the Whitefriars works employed about 2,000 workers and St James Mill became the head office of the printing division. The mill was not used for printing as the floors were unable to bear the weight of the machinery.
In 1991 the mill was refurbished by Jarrold so space could be let as office accommodation for leading local businesses and other organisations. By 2000 the first floor was occupied by Jarrold Training.
Details about its significance and history can be seen on Norfolk Heritage Exployer.