PRINCE2 ® (Projects In Controlled Environments) is a structured project management method based on experience drawn from thousands of projects and from the contributions of countless project sponsors, Project Managers, teams, academics, trainers and consultants.
The method was first established in 1989 by CCTA (the Central Computer and Telecommunications Agency), now the responsibility of the Cabinet Office – in the UK, revised in consultation with users and project management experts and launched in 1996 as PRINCE2.
Since 1996 PRINCE2 has grown in popularity and is now the project management method of choice of many organisations and individuals both in the UK and internationally. It has been translated into many different languages, reflecting the international acceptance of the method.
PRINCE2 is now regulated so that service providers, user organisations and individuals can be accredited against standards in process and knowledge and regulated through examinations and audits. The huge popularity of PRINCE2 is due to the accreditation process, the ease of use and its flexibility in terms of application
In the current environment, where controlled change and the ability to respond quickly to the market are pre-requisites for survival, PRINCE2 provides the ability to deliver new products and services ON TIME, TO QUALITY and within BUDGET. It does this by focusing on delivery of projects’ outcome and monitoring and controlling the factors that have the ability to adversely impact that outcome.
The decision to implement PRINCE2 within your organisation may have a significant effect on current ways of working and consideration of this fact must be uppermost in tailoring PRINCE2 to your corporate processes and policies.
It is not just a matter of training people to use PRINCE2 but requires the provision of a sympathetic environment in which your staff can operate effectively. This may result in cultural change and thought needs to be given to change management principles.
One of the most important factors is the acceptance and buy-in from senior management of the need to be inclusive and NOT outside the scope of the PRINCE2 processes. Senior management should have a basic knowledge of the processes in PRINCE2 that affect the way they operate, in order to appreciate the need to perform their role within a project. It is preferable that a person at senior management level is appointed as ‘owner’ of the processes to ensure maintenance and compliance.
Once the decision is made to introduce PRINCE2, adopting PRINCE2 processes and adapting current processes will result in a more holistic project management environment, providing significant benefits in terms of effectiveness and efficiency of resources applied to projects.
Training, appropriate to their role, will ensure staff at all levels fully understand what they need to do within the new environment and the introduction of templates and project management information systems will enable the speedy take up of the method. Some training can be achieved through workshops as well as standard training courses.
As in all new systems, consideration should be given to the level of support needed to ensure appropriate use, which may be provided by a dedicated support office, depending on the scope of the project environment.
New PRINCE2® 7! Best practice made better.
PRINCE2®, the world’s leading project management method, has evolved to meet the needs of the future. It has been updated to reflect the modern realities of managing successful projects in the 21st century, incorporating the latest processes, tools, and technologies to stay ahead of the curve. Best practice has now become even better!
PRINCE2® 7 addresses changes in the project management sector and adapts to evolving working practices and technologies.
The 5 integrated elements in PRINCE2® 7
PRINCE2® 7 is made up of 5 integrated elements:
✓ 7 Principles
✓ 7 Practices
✓ 7 Processes
✓ Project Context
while People is the core element.
Key Updates for Emboldening Success:
- Central Focus on People Management, recognising the importance of human capital in project success.
- Enhanced Flexibility and Customization, adapting to the unique requirements of each project, across sectors.
- Embracing Digital and Data Management, equipping you with the right tools to keep your projects up to date in the digital era.
- Integration of Sustainability into Project Performance, aligning projects with environmental and social responsibility goals.
- Compatibility with Agile, Lean, and ITIL, enhancing overall project performance.
- Designed for all professionals, including aspiring or experienced project managers, using simplified language and content which makes it more accessible to all.
They have also developed a PRINCE2® 7 AI Practice Guide, available exclusively on their membership platform, to perfectly complement the new AI-ready PRINCE2.
Why a new PRINCE2?
- Meeting the growth in need for Project Management skills – 2.3 million new project management employees will be needed each year to meet global talent demands by 2030
- Reflecting changes in the project management space – the project management landscape has evolved since 2017, PRINCE2 needs to evolve to meet new needs and bring in missing areas such as people
- PRINCE2 for all opportunity – being developed to be accessible to anyone in any role who needs critical project management skills to deliver successfully
- Improve flexibility – rules need to be reduced and the importance of tailoring needs to be demonstrated to showcase the true value of the method and make sure it is applicable to all projects across all sectors
- To meet our market commitment – fulfilling our commitment to ensure the ongoing relevance of our best practice guidance and respond to your feedback
What’s new or improved in PRINCE2® 7 ?
- Focus on People – projects are all about people; the new PRINCE2 People chapter covers critical topics such as culture, collaboration and communication to drive project success
- Enables agility – allowing organisations to move quickly and easily in response to change or challenge
- Delivers successfully – working for any project in any context
- Has fewer rules – supporting flexible use across the business
- Be fully tailorable – demonstrated throughout the guidance, primarily through scenarios
- Be easy to understand and apply – accessible language and reduced complexity supports a wide range of professionals to be able to engage with the method
- Addresses important emerging needs – sustainability and data are now considered key to the success of many projects; we will embed them into the tried and trusted PRINCE2 method
PRINCE2 training courses
As a PRINCE2 Licensed Affiliate centre we offer the following qualifications:
This is a 3 day course for all project personnel providing a detailed explanation of the methodology and some practical exercises. The Foundation examination is taken on the afternoon of the 3day.
This is a 5 day course for all project managers and senior project personnel providing a detailed understanding of the PRINCE2 methodology, practical exercises in work-groups and examination technique. The Foundation examination is taken on the afternoon of the 3 day and the Practitioner exam on the 5 day.
This is a 2 day course for those that have already attended and passed the PRINCE2 Foundation level examination.
The accredited PRINCE2 courses are delivered by Insights, an Accredited Training Organisation.